Nematodes are microscopic, worm-like creatures that live
in soil and can be used for organic pest control.
They are effective against a variety of garden pests, including grubs, caterpillars, and flea beetles.
There are two types of nematodes commonly used for pest control: Steinernema feltiae and Heterorhabditis bacteriophora. Steinernema feltiae is effective against soil-dwelling pests, while Heterorhabditis bacteriophora is effective against pests that live in the thatch layer of the lawn.
To apply nematodes, follow these steps:
- Store Lawn Guardian in a refrigerator 6‐8ºC (43‐46ºF) for a maximum of 8 weeks; do not freeze.
- Water the lawn well before applying Lawn Guardian. The soil must be moist. Once Lawn Guardian is applied a light watering daily for 3 to 4 days is required as nematodes use the water channels to travel and find their prey.
- Do not apply in bright sunlight. The best time for application is on a cloudy day or late in the afternoon.
- Lawn Guardian should not be mixed with fertilizers or pesticides. Fertilizer can be applied before or after Lawn Guardian applications.
- Open Lawn Guardian beneficial nematode package, remove the sponge and place it in 4L of water and wring out the sponge 5 to 10 times. Also, rinse the plastic bag to release any remaining nematodes, then remove the bag and sponge (please recycle). This will make a nematode concentrate.
- Apply nematode concentrate with Natural Insect Control`s Hose End Sprayer this will add 320L (1:80) of water to your treatment area of 186 - 279m² (2000 - 3000ft²).
- Nematodes can be applied with other Hose End Sprayers, make sure your sprayer is well-cleaned and set to allow the most amount of water. Also, note if your sprayer does not empty that you must add tea or food colouring to the concentrate so you will know when your hose end sprayer has applied the nematodes.
- Before filling the Hose End Sprayer bottle – vigorously stir the nematode to concentrate each time as the nematodes are heavy and fall to the bottom – this ensures even distribution.
- Use all Lawn Guardian within 2 hours.
It's important to note that nematodes are sensitive to temperature and sunlight, so it's important to apply them during the cooler parts of the day and avoid direct sunlight. Also, be sure to read and follow the instructions on the package carefully to ensure effective application.
In the spring (May) when soil temperature is 10C (50F) or warmer, grubs are seen in the soil. An application will stop grubs from damaging your grassroots. Apply in autumn (end of August to September) eliminating grubs thus preventing fall and following spring damage. Next year’s application should be in the fall.
100% Safe for people, pets, plants and even earthworms.
Watch how to Apply our Nematodes: https://youtu.be/SRit7mAPYxw
Helpful hints: Length of grass and nematode applications
How long should the grass be when I apply the nematodes? The grass needs to be between 1 to 2 inches in length. The nematodes need to be easily washed into the soil from the blades of the grass.
Should grass be kept moist after the nematodes have been applied? Yes, the lawn should be wet for 3 to 4 days after the application. This allows the nematodes to find the grubs and start to control this pest.
How much time should pass before the grass is first cut after the nematodes have been applied? You can mow your grass the next day.
Note: Beneficial nematodes are most effective when soil is moist and remains moist for 3 to 5 days after application. Lawn Guardian is easy to apply using a hose-end sprayer and comes with full instructions.
Applying 10 million nematodes should take approximately 40 minutes using our hose end sprayer.
Nematodes are a safe and effective way to control pests in your lawn and garden without the use of harmful chemicals. By following these steps, you can apply nematodes to your lawn and garden and enjoy a healthy, pest-free landscape.